Friday, October 8, 2010

Strangers

I'm waking up at 6:15 AM to take the LSAT. It could last up to 7 hours. I can't have my cell phone. I'm getting thumb-printed.

Sounds a tad like jail.

Stressful. Possibly life-changing.

Spent all week stressing and studying, not just for this but for a whole bunch of school stuff.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mom called today to tell me that two kids at a school in my cousins' neighborhood were injured.

These kids live in California. Suffice it to say, I was utterly confused. The only thing I could think of was that perhaps one of my precious little cousin had punched a friend or something and THAT'S why mom was telling me.

"What do you mean?" I said.

And she proceeded to tell me that my aunt had sent her an email which said something along the lines of "Carlsbad school shooting. Picking up kids."

(She never was one for long emails.)

A gunman showed up at the school playground (if my cousins lived one block over, they would have gone to school here), got out of his car, and began shooting. Somehow, he only narrowly shot two kids (bullets grazed them and they're okay) before nearby construction workers were able to take him down.

Thank God for caring strangers.

... it's the little things today.

The LSAT? Not so bad. Counting my blessings today that my family is safe. It's the little things, guys. Random acts of kindness--bravery--instinctual gut reactions to life-threatening situations. Saving lives.

No comments: