Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Wizard of Oz

There's something freaky about the Wizard of Oz. It's creepy. I KNOW you know that too. It's not just me. It really is. Or maybe not as creepy as twisted. I admit, when I was 5 and naive, I loved the movie. I loved Dorothy and her shoes and her voice and the little ballerina munchkins and Glinda (I used to like pink...imagine that!). But then... I got old. And cynical/critical (the culture shock of going from ultra Catholic conservative Kansas high school attender to left-wing Iowa college English major will confuse you and cynicsm/criticism just happens...who'd'a thunk?), and I can't watch that movie now without warning lights flashing in my brain (I like to imagine there's an intercommed voice too, saying: DANGER WILL ROBINSON DANGER! but ironically I don't even know who Will Robinson is. Maybe my warning voice can say: DANGER SPOCK DANGER! because I saw the new Star Trek movie twice and I would trust Spock with my life I think) telling me that something is wrong.

Here's why:

  1.  If some chick from Kansas dropped her house on MY sister, I'd be pissed off too. In my view, the wicked witch is somewhat justified in her actions. At least in being annoyed and mad at Dorothy. Even if Dorothy doesn't deserve the blame, we at least can understand WHY the witch is frustrated and taking it out on Dorothy. Her sister just died. Seriously. 
  2. Given the socio-cultural recently-post-civil war background of the book, the flying monkeys could be an interesting statement on slavery and the treatment of African Americans even in a newly post-slavery (but not post-civil-rights) society. And that just, for me at least, adds an aspect of seriousness and social commentary unbefitting the children's story/happy-go-lucky image that people have assigned to this movie. 
  3. Glinda is WAY too Barbie. And Dorothy is supposed to listen to her? And she doesn't tell Dorothy she can go home the first time she sees her? She is a walking (flying?) contradiction. In the beginning of the movie, she says that the shoes have great power, but she also says that she doesn't know what they can do, but then in the end she just happens to know. I'd punch somebody if I went through that whole ordeal only to have been able to get home within five minutes of leaving if Glinda had just TOLD me. 
  4. Nobody receives their "gifts" until after they kill the wicked witch (whom I've already said is understandably justified to an extent in her anger/frustration). Not only are these "gifts" so fraudulent and unnecessary (Scarecrow doesn't believe he's smart until he receives a diploma, etc, etc), but were they really worth killing for? What are we teaching our kids here? 
  5. Furthermore, why does Dorothy WANT to go home? Aside from her lovely aunt and uncle whom she adores simply because she has to, she isn't respected at home, no one stands up for her, her dog's life is in mortal danger there, and it's black and white. I can sort of understand wanting to go home by the end of the movie, but really? That's the first thing you want to do when you get to Oz? Go home? Yeah right. 
  6. This one isn't quite from the movie, but from background I happen to know: Margaret Hamilton (aka The Wicked Witch of the West) was shunned on set by her fellow cast members. How awful. 

Sorry if you absolutely love the movie, but I am just so disillusioned by it. And I'm writing a paper and I've already written numerous poems about it because it's all I've been able to think about for months! 

Up next: why Belle = Judy Garland/Dorothy in animated form... 

XOXO. 

No comments: